Personal information impact assessments cover:
- a systematic description of the envisaged processing operations and the purposes of the processing, including, where applicable, the legitimate interest pursued by the responsible parties
- an assessment of the necessity and proportionality of the processing operations in relation to the purposes
- an assessment of the risks to the rights of data subjects, and
- the measures envisaged to address the risks, including:
- security measures and
- mechanisms to ensure the protection of personal information
- and can be used to demonstrate compliance with the privacy requirements, taking into account the rights and legitimate interests of data subjects and other persons concerned.
The purpose of completing personal information impact assessments is to ensure that adequate measures and standards exist to protect the rights of data subjects. The POPIA platform provides an automated process for completing personal information impact assessments efficiently and determining effective measures and standards to protect the rights of data subjects.